Open House Checklist
So you’ve staged your home and cleaned it from top to bottom. You’ve fixed all the broken lights and now you have an open house. Here are some tips on things you need to do before showing your home to the public.
- Don’t stick around for the open house – Many home buyers don’t want to meet you because they came to see the house.
- Don’t leave dirty dishes in the sink
- Put the toilet lid down
- If you have any pets, don’t leave them locked in a room – Buyers want to see each room so take your pet with you.
- Don’t leave your checkbook on your office desk (believe me I’ve seen this).
- Shred or file any bank statements
- Store your ipad or other small electronic devices away (DS3, xbox etc) that could potentially walk away.
- Don’t leave your mail lying around with your full name on it
- If you are a gun owner, make sure the guns are locked up and stored out of site.
- Open all the window coverings to let in the natural light.
- Turn on all the lights in the house so no one has to stumble around to find that basement or closet light.
- Empty your trash cans (office, bathroom, kitchen).
- Unlock all the doors leading outside so your realtors or buyers don’t have to fumble with the lock. One buyer tried to open the second door of the French doors leading outside and jammed down so hard on it that the door handle was crooked!
- Don’t cook anything deep fried, fishy or spicy the day before or the day of your open house. Those smells will linger for a while.
- Set thermostat to a comfortable setting so it’s not too cold and not too hot.
- Don’t leave dirty laundry in the laundry room.
If you chose to do an open house, it can bring in many prospective home buyers. Make sure your home is ready to show off its best features.